Sunday, January 28, 2007

Blueberry Buckle (and Lasagna)


I had been eyeing the Raspberry Buckle recipe in the cookbook for a few weeks before I made this. There were two weeks of trips to the supermarket where I couldn't find frozen berries at all or fresh berries I wanted to use. Then I gave up and decided to make Blueberry Buckle with fresh blueberries. After they had been baked, the blueberries tasted so much better. Unlike the nun's puffs, I'd make the Blueberry Buckle again.



My mom makes a really good lasagna. It's one of the few things she makes that I really like. I don't have her recipe, though. I feel like it's something like (with resentment), "Pour the jar of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of the pan, don't cook the noodles, layer on some ground beef, some cottage cheese, some more spaghetti sauce, repeat." I decided to try the Better Homes & Gardens recipe. There was a Contadina recipe on the back of the crushed tomatoes label, but I stuck with the BHG route.


The first difference I noticed was that my lasagna was not very tall. It just doesn't looked like lasagna when it's kind of slumping over that way. The sauce BHG calls for has an entire onion in it. And lots of tomatoes. And a little meat. But mainly you end up eating an onion layered with noodles and lots of Italian spices. I thought it was okay. Not lasagna, but good enough for dinner. We'll have to find a new recipe next time.

No comments: