Sunday, March 18, 2007

1-2-3 Dinner

I'm trying to get my photo portfolio together, which also means I'm trying to organize the home office so I can find all my CDs and have a place to put everything I print. All of this means that I spent my St. Patrick's Day afternoon running around the crowded and under-stocked Atlantic Center Target with LV and the little one in tow. By the time I gave up, went to Office Max, and then went to Party Central for cheap St. Patrick's day hats, it was really late.


Originally, I had joked that we could get Scrappy to eat vegetables on St. Patrick's Day by telling her she had to eat green food for good luck. Like the Irish love broccoli or something. By the time we got back from shopping, though, I was ready to just throw a frozen pizza in the oven and call it a day. Then I decided to run over to the grocery store.



Frozen country fried chicken, frozen peas and carrots, and mashed potatoes out of the box. About as easy as waiting 15 minutes for the pizza.


When I began scooping peas and carrots onto plates, Scrappy immediately protested that those were not carrots. Her dad reminded her that carrots aren't green, so she had to eat peas, too. That morning, they had bought cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day. To add to her dad's speech about vegetables, I told her that she wasn't getting a cupcake if she didn't eat the vegetables.

"I didn't want one anyway."

"So, you're not going to eat your dinner?" I ask. "Because I'm not going to bother giving it to you if you're not going to eat it."

Scrappy wanted the chicken. She didn't say she only wanted the chicken. She said she wanted dinner. She swore she was going to eat it.

Sunday afternoon found Scrappy staring down the vegetables and mashed potatoes she ended up refusing to eat the night before and LV asking if we could make more green margaritas.

No comments: