Sunday, July 08, 2007

Breakfast, "Yum Salad," and Strawberry Cookies


Sausage patties used to be something we had all the time at the old apartment. We never have them anymore. One opened package has been sitting in the freezer since probably before I started this blog. (Which, to clarify, was sometime in December...)


So, sausage patties seemed like a fresh idea. And we always scramble eggs, so, weee, today was fried. One of these weekends we'll get back to making toad-in-a-hole. (Not the traditional English recipe--just the eggs and toast you see in V for Vendetta.)



Pizza was again requested for dinner, but we had finally shopped for the menu I made up like a month ago, so I refused to give in to a salad-less dinner. When I started saying there would be chicken and strawberries, the pizza discussion went away. Although, I can't say that all the work that LV put into shredding the chicken was somehow easier than putting a pizza in the oven.



Luckily Scrappy did not echo the "I hate lettuce" sentiments of her father. Her declaration that she likes lettuce was not just lip service either. She actually ate everything on her plate.


The strawberries and blueberries must have had her fooled. When I said that I had finally and thoroughly ended LV's streak of never having had a salad for a meal, she said this was not a salad. After reconsidering her plate, Scrappy said, "It's a yum salad."



These are strawberry cookies. When we were all done baking after dinner and I was scraping puffy pale cookies, I angrily stated I'm never making these cookies again. Even though the sugar cookie part comes out of a Betty Crocker mix and the jelly is now squeezable, they're just too much work for so little in return. The rolling part kills me. I can't get the wax paper to stay down, the roller absorbs everything, and it takes way too long to cut one tray's worth. Making cookies from a mix should be fun...


Before we started mixing anything, I decided I wanted to put some of the dough into the mini muffin tray and make my own sugar-cookie-and-jelly version of a Rese's peanut butter cup. They turned out well, though rolling was still involved. They're covered with the shapes cut out from the larger cookies.


LV will write a happier account of baking cookies that you can read here.




With two new sets of cookies, the corn muffins had to move...

1 comment:

LEV said...

it really was a banner weekend... everything was so yummy... i mean c'mon my streak of never eaten a salad for a meal was broken... that was big