Thursday, July 26, 2007

In Case of Rain...


Again, I have no idea what we had for dinner Thursday night. All I remember is assembling fans and finishing all the tabletop decor I had created Tuesday.


Our plan was always to have the fans that doubled as programs. We took a while to get around to actually printing, Xyron-ing, and folding them, but it was always the plan. The plan had never been to create a seating arrangement. Until I realized on my last day of work (Tuesday) that, if it rained, we would have more guests than seats.


Sitting at my desk with no response from the restaurant manager, I decided that we could turn our excess of reply cards into Metro cards and each table would be a stop along the N line, seeing as I used to live at one end while LV lived at the other.


I designed and printed the materials on Tuesday, ran around looking for rubber cement on Wednesday, and began pasting and cutting on Thursday. LV went to get Twin Tak during the day, then painstakingly assembled tabletops Thursday night.



Friday, after the manager received the check we left in person on Monday, she sent the following email:


"I seriously doubt many people are going to bother you with seating questions on Saturday. That is our job and we would answer that the seating is not assigned and to sit wherever they would be comfortable... If it rains (which it won't) it won't be crowded at all. I wouldn't even worry about that."


If she had told me this in person, I might have hit her. Not so much because she was patronizing and implying I had wasted my energy even dreaming up the plan to use the N line, but more because only an idiot would think that the guests at a wedding are going to ask the disinterested wait staff about seating before asking the bride or someone close to her. No, not "everyone" asked me what the name tags were for, but I certainly didn't see anyone approaching the bartender to ask, "What's the deal with seating?"

No comments: