Saturday, July 07, 2007

Cookies, Muffins, Pasta Salad


On the Fourth of July, I felt like making nun's puffins again, but then thought I should make something to bring along to the BBQ later. Nun's puffs or muffins or biscuits didn't really feel appropriate. There were chocolate chips in the cabinet. The Tollhouse recipe seemed like more of a crowd-pleaser than the Better Homes & Gardens biscotti.


I forgot to take a picture... That's all that was left of my cookies after the fireworks. I'm still amazed.



Saturday morning I didn't feel like eating anything we had on hand for breakfast, so I made corn muffins. LV had long ago decided that corn muffins toasted with butter were the best breakfast, so we had two boxes of the super-cheap, super-easy Jiffy mix. I decided to make mini muffins to complicate the process.


After the muffins had cooled, they went into the container that the cookies had been in. This container had been filled to the top with cookies on the way to the BBQ.



Pizza has been the usual weekend dinner for a few too many weeks in a row. I thought we could do something healthier that didn't require the oven. Sure, the pasta still required a flame, but when all was said and done (and rinsed under lots of cold water), we had a good alternative to pizza in about the time it would have taken to prepare a pizza. Penne, peas, grape tomatoes (because we still have plenty of those around), cashews and crab (because the store didn't have frozen fully cooked shrimp) tossed with worcesterhire sauce, Italian seasoning and lots of olive oil.

No comments: