Monday, December 14, 2009

Chicken Cutlets


In the meat department at the new grocery store, I spotted this bulging square shape labeled "chicken cutlets." It weighed four pounds and was priced at four dollars. LV asked, "What is that?" I didn't know, but looked really fresh.

Turns out, the butcher sliced the meat off a pterodactyl's chest and squeezed it into this little Styrofoam tray. I took one (the size a whole chicken) and put it in a casserole dish. I took the other and clipped it in half, putting both pieces in the freezer. Then I looked up a few recipes for baking a turkey and similar creatures in order to figure out how best to prepare this massive piece of chicken.

I ended up seasoning the chicken, covering the dish with foil, baking it according to turkey temperatures, and basting it every 30 minutes. Then I let it sit under the foil to continue cooking internally (I do tend to have a problem with undercooked chicken when it's not super-thin cut).

Dinner was a hunk of chicken on a plate with some of the juices. (I forget what bland treat I paired it with--the main event was the chicken.) LV thought it was the best thing ever.

No comments: