Sunday, February 24, 2008

Rejected Recipe Finally Gets Made


In 2005, I pulled a recipe for chicken enchiladas and corn salsa from Woman's Day when my roommate and I were going to stop ordering so much takeout. The recipe was rejected.


In 2006, I pulled the recipe again for LV when he was looking for something simple. It was rejected again.


This week, in an attempt to plan more, I pulled out the two copies of the recipe and decided to try it. Slicing up the avocado is the longest part of the recipe. Super easy... (Not that I'm calling LV a pansy. But it is really easy.)


"I don't know how well that's going to go over," LV said, looking at the enchiladas and referring to Scrappy's tendency to reject any meat that is not a solid shape. "The corn, though, she'll dig."


Twenty minutes later, looking at Scrappy's plate, LV had to retract his prediction. All the corn was still there. Scrappy was not swayed to eat avocados because they had been her grandfather's favorite things to eat. Meanwhile, the enchiladas were almost gone because, due to certain the resident Puerto Ricans' distaste for spicy sauces, they were covered in BBQ sauce.


"Would you eat Brussels sprout if I covered it in BBQ sauce?" LV asked.


"No," Scrappy said. "I would know [it was still Brussels sprout]."

No comments: