Saturday, January 24, 2009

National Pie Day, Smoothies, and Liver


Friday was National Pie Day, but LV wanted us to come meet him for dinner. That didn't leave Scrappy and I enough time to pick a pie recipe, shop for ingredients, and make a pie. She and I went shopping and put off the baking until the next day.


Scrappy picked the Chocolate Bar Pie recipe, which doesn't actually get baked. It's made of melted chocolate bars, melted marshmallows, heavy whipping cream, and... that's it. You end up with a kind of mousse that you scrape into a pie dish and freeze for 8 hours. The crust is baked concoction of chopped walnuts, butter and sugar, but really all you taste is chocolate.



After all the hours of waiting, she said it was her favorite pie.



Seeing as the food processor was already out and now needed to be washed (I had used it chop the walnuts), I thought it would be best to try out how well it made smoothies. This is frozen cherries and frozen peaches with not enough milk.



Why stop there? I had read liver was a really good source of iron, but there were only two recipes for liver in the cookbook I like: liver pâté or liver and onions. I went with liver pâté. All seemed to be going well, and it tasted all right while it was still warm (cooked in the skillet and then puréed), but a pound of liver is just too much.

No comments: